Details for: JANSSEN COVID-19 VACCINE
Company: JANSSEN INC
|DIN||DIN name||Active Ingredient(s)||Strength||Dosage Form||Route of Administration|
|02513153||JANSSEN COVID-19 VACCINE||AD26.COV2.S [RECOMBINANT]||50000000000 VP / ML||SUSPENSION||INTRAMUSCULAR|
Interim Order Respecting the Importation, Sale and Advertising of Drugs for Use in Relation to COVID-19
This information was provided by the drug’s manufacturer when this drug product was approved for sale in Canada. It is designed for consumers and care givers. It is a summary of information about the drug and will not tell you everything about the drug. Contact your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions about the drug.
What the medication is used for
Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine is a vaccine used to prevent COVID-19 disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine can be given to protect people aged 18 years and older.
What it does
Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine uses a recombinant, replication-incompetent human adenovirus type 26 vector to stimulate the body’s natural defenses (immune system) and produce its own protection (antibodies) against the virus.
The vaccine is given as a single dose, by injection with a needle, usually in the upper arm.
You cannot get COVID-19 from this vaccine.
As with any vaccine, Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine may not fully protect all those who receive it. Even after you have had the vaccine, continue to follow the recommendations of local public health officials to prevent spread of COVID-19.
When it should not be used
Do not use Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine if:
- you have previously had a severe allergic reaction to any of the active substance(s) or any of the other ingredients of Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine
- you have ever had a severe allergic reaction after a dose of any other ‘adenovirus-based vaccine’
- you currently have symptoms that could be due to COVID-19. Talk to your healthcare professional about your symptoms and getting a COVID-19 test. Your healthcare professional will advise you when you are able to receive the vaccine.
What the medicinal ingredient is
Medicinal ingredients: recombinant, replication-incompetent adenovirus type 26 (Ad26) vectored COVID-19 vaccine encoding the SARS-CoV-2 Spike (S) protein 5 × 1010 virus particles (VP)*
* Produced in the PER.C6® TetR Cell Line and by recombinant DNA technology.
What the non-medicinal ingredients are
- 2-hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin (HBCD)
- Citric acid monohydrate
- Hydrochloric acid
- Sodium chloride
- Sodium hydroxide
- Trisodium citrate dihydrate
- Water for injection
What dosage form it comes in
Colourless to slightly yellow, clear to very opalescent suspension provided in a multiple dose vial of 5 doses of 0.5 mL, each dose containing 5 × 1010 virus particles of adenovirus type 26 (Ad26) vectored COVID-19 vaccine encoding the SARS-CoV-2 Spike (S) protein.
Warnings and precautions
To help avoid side effects and ensure proper use, talk to your healthcare professional before you take Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine. Talk about any health conditions or problems you may have, including if you:
- Have ever had a severe allergic reaction after any type of vaccine
- Have had a history of venous sinus thrombosis in the brain with low platelets (thrombocytopenia) or a history of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT)
- Have a weakened immune system due to a medical condition or are on a medicine that affects your immune system
- Are pregnant, think you may be pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed
- Have a bleeding problem, bruise easily or use a blood thinning medication
- Have a high fever or severe infection
- Have any serious illness
Do not drive or use machines if you are feeling unwell after vaccination.
If any of the above apply to you (or you are not sure), talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse before you are given Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine.
Tell your healthcare professional about all the medicines you take, including any drugs, vitamins, minerals, natural supplements or alternative medicines.
Interactions with this medication
There is no information on the use of Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine with other vaccines. Tell your healthcare professional if you have recently taken or might take any other vaccine.
Proper use of this medication
How Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine is given:
- Your doctor, pharmacist, or nurse will inject the vaccine into a muscle (intramuscular injection) - usually in your upper arm.
- During and after each injection of the vaccine, your doctor, pharmacist or nurse will watch over you for at least 15 minutes to monitor for signs of an allergic reaction.
A single dose (0.5 mL) of Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine should be administered.
Side effects and what to do about them
Like all vaccines, Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine can cause side effects. In clinical studies with the vaccine, most of the side effects, happened within 2 days of getting the injection, were mild to moderate in intensity, and resolved within 1-2 days.
The following side effects may happen with this vaccine:
Very common (may affect more than 1 in 10 people):
- muscle aches
- pain at injection site
- feeling very tired (fatigue)
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people):
- redness at injection site
- swelling at injection site
- joint pain
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people):
- muscle weakness
- arm or leg pain
- feeling weak
- feeling generally unwell
Rare (may affect up to 1 in 1000 people):
- allergic reaction, including hives
Should you develop any serious symptoms or symptoms that could be an allergic reaction, seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include:
- hives (bumps on the skin that are often very itchy)
- swelling of the face, tongue or throat
- difficulty breathing
If you experience a severe allergic reaction, call 9-1-1, or go to the nearest hospital.
A combination of blood clots and low level of platelets, in some cases together with bleeding, has been observed very rarely in unusual locations (e.g., brain, liver) following vaccination with Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine. Seek medical attention right away if any of the following symptoms occur within the first month following vaccination:
- new severe headaches, worsening or persistent headaches; blurred vision, confusion or seizures
- shortness of breath, chest pain, leg swelling, leg pain or persistent abdominal pain
- unusual skin bruising or pinpoint round spots under the skin beyond the site of vaccination
These may not be all the possible side effects of Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine. If you experience any side effects not listed here, tell your healthcare professional.
Tell your doctor, pharmacist or nurse if you have any side effects that bother you, interfere with your daily activities, or do not go away.
How to store
Your doctor, pharmacist or nurse is responsible for storing this vaccine and disposing of any unused product correctly.
Keep Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine out of reach and sight of children.
Reporting side effects
Reporting Suspected Side Effects for Vaccines
For the general public: Should you experience a side effect following immunization, please report it to your healthcare professional.
Should you require information related to the management of the side effect, please contact your healthcare professional. The Public Health Agency of Canada, Health Canada and Janssen Inc. cannot provide medical advice.
For healthcare professionals: If a patient experiences a side effect following immunization, please complete the Adverse Events Following Immunization (AEFI) Form appropriate for your province/territory (https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/immunization/reporting-adverse-events-following-immunization/form.html) and send it to your local Health Unit.
If you want more information about Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine:
- Talk to your healthcare professional
- Find the full product monograph that is prepared for healthcare professionals and includes this Patient Medication Information by visiting the Health Canada website: (https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/drug-products/drug-product-database.html; the manufacturer’s website (www.janssen.com/canada), or by calling Janssen Inc. at: 1-800-567-3331.
This leaflet was prepared by Janssen Inc.
Last Revised: April 23, 2021
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: